Tuesday, September 22, 2009

TOS Crew Review: College Prep Genius

College is becoming more of a reality in these tough economic times.  Although I did hear of one study that says we maybe lacking in the more technical fields, that is for another discussion.

I remember taking my SAT and being totally unprepared for them.  I had already made up my mind to go to a community college and was already accepted by the time I took them, so I put little effort into taking it.  I won't share my score, mainly because I can't remember it any more, but I am sure it was not good. (However, I can add that I did wind up with a scholarship - so wonder's never cease.)

Reading through the College Prep Genius softcover textbook, shed a new picture to me about the SAT / PSAT test. Being a standardized test, it means that pretty much each test is about the same.  Going through the College Prep Genius course will teach you how to take the test to maximize your time and get the best score possible. After giving you information on what the test is and how to prepare through your school years for "THE" test, they lead you through the different sections of the test, giving strategies on how to take each section. They give you rules, definitions, and acronyms to study to help with your test taking strategies.

Accompanying the text is a workbook that provides some review and takes you through a few sample questions on the test.

The first part of the textbook recommends that 1- you take a sample SAT available either online or from a book you borrow from your library.  Then 2 - you read through the text book 2 to 3 times, which is where we are at right now.  The book lays out step by step how to work through the course.  Also included in the package are 4 dvd's which cover intro to the SAT, then three videos on each major subject area: Math, Critical Reading, and Writing.  I will have to write another post later to let you know how those are.

So there is a basic overview.  I am impressed with what I see so far, but will have to write more info when we get further into it.

Right now they are offering 30% off as an introductory price.  You can find out more by Clicking HERE.


No comments: